Monday, December 17, 2007

Not a good day for Kylan!

Today Kylan had his 9 month doctor appointment. Last appointment they told me that he wouldn't be getting any shots, but that he would have to have some blood taken to test for anemia. So, stupid me, I thought that they would take blood like they do when they are newborn - little prick on the foot (not that that is great, but better than what I am about to describe). The appointment went well (I will give his new stats in a moment), then we go down to the lab to have his blood taken. To set up the story, Ky was ready for a nap right when we were leaving for the doctors, so he is really tired and getting more and more tired. I had also thought about bringing in his stroller, but didn't, so I am holding him, my big coat, and his diaper bag and walking all over the hospital. We finally get into the lab and then inform me that they are going to take it out of his arm - what?! his little veins couldn't possibly be big enough, and how are we going to keep him still!! They put him on the table, and one lady tries to stick him, the other holds his arms and I have to hold his legs. THREE (thats right, 3 and the first one invloved a lot of "digging") tries later, they finally get blood!! I had to use all the strength I had to not cry! Shots won't seem as bad next time, that's for sure. So, here is the little guy with bandades on both arms that I now have to try to pull off! Poor little boy!!

Well, here are his new stats:



Head: 75th percentile (17 1/2 inches I think)



Height: 28 9/16 inches (75th Percentile)



Weight: 21 lbs 10 oz (she didn't tell me percentile because this is lower than what his curve has been due to the 1 1/2 weeks of liquid diareah and increased moving abilities - I was told to feed him an extra serving of fruit a day!)

Overall, he's doing well, but I think I will be opting not to do this test with any future children!

3 comments:

Kim said...

That is so sad - it made me want to cry just reading about it. You are better than I am - when they had to put something in Kailyn's arm (I can't remember what it is called, but something so they only have to stick her once) I bawled my head off. He looks so sweet in his pictures - you would never know what he went through.

JRC said...

Hi! I found your page off of Karin's page, and then added you to mine. Kylan is so cute! I know you probably hear all the time that he looks just like Tim, but in the picture on the right he actually looks like Gavin to me. But don't feel bad, I get told all the time how much my little boy looks just like his dad. But gosh darn it one of my kids better look like me!

Alisha said...

oh man!!! i wish i could've been there. i would have got him in one stick. this test is silly anyway if he has no symptoms of anemia. what sweet pic's though.