Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Avon Rascon Young




On Friday, November 30, 2007 Avon Rascon Young left this world to help ride herd with the cowboys who have gone before him, his friends, who like him, were the icons of rodeo in days gone by. If he could have chosen how he would pass to the arena of heaven it would have been exactly how it came about, on his beloved horse, riding wild and free with his boots on and his spurs pulled tight.
Avon Young was born April 17, 1940 in Tucson, Arizona to Phillip and Maria (Valencia) Young.
Avon has lived in Fallon for thirty years. He worked for twenty-five years for the Laborers Union, retiring after being injured on the job.
Avon would want to be remembered as a cowboy. For many years he belonged to the PRCA, he participated in steer wrestling and bull riding events.
He spent the last twenty years on his little dream ranch working his animals and doing what he loves best: being a husband, father, grandfather and friend to all.
Avon is survived by his wife Darlene Young; daughter and son-in-law Teri and Brett Sorensen all of Fallon; sons and daughters in-law, Dustin and Georgia Young of Pocatello, ID; James and Wendy Young of Boise, ID; Thomas and Molly Young of Petaluma CA; daughters and son-in-laws, Valerie and Gary Schneider of Tucson, AZ; Rebecca Sharp and companion Dan McQuaid of Apache Junction, AZ; Debra and Scott Grove of Blackfoot, ID; Trina and Steve Krouse of UT; grandchildren, Josie, Sienna, Curt, Christy, Ryan, Jessica, Jay, Brian, Angela, Rachel, Gavin, Tim, Tonya, Carly, Cameron, Billy, Michael, Justin, Brendt, Maddy, Ashley, Whitney, Kayden, Gracie, Jaclyn and numerous great-grandchildren, brother Reynaldo Valencia; Phillip and Lynda Young; sisters Betty Lee and Wayne Elledge; Hannah and Ray Carillo; Melda Farber all of Arizona; Rachel and Michael Bowman of Tacoma, Washington.
Tim and I have both lost two wonderful grandfathers this year; both very unexpected. They were both wonderful men with huge hearts who loved all of us very much. While it is hard for us to be without them, we know that they are happy and that we will be reunited with them one day!

8 comments:

Montserrat said...

I'm so sorry! My condolences to both of you.

Alisha said...

lovely tribute.
my thoughts are with your family.

zippy said...

Your tribute here is beautiful! Our condolences to you and Tim. You're all in our thoughts.

JanMacDonald said...

Strange thing - around November 30th I began to think about my childhood friend, Avon (Bundle) Young. I told my husband I was going to look him up on the Internet. Well, I did and just read your post with great sadness. I too grew up in Tucson, born in 1940 and went to Davidson school. Bundle and I used to ride on one horse, bareback, down the Rillito river to go swimming on the west side of Tucson.
Sometimes my mother would hear a knock on the door only to open it and have a horse staring at her. Bundle would be on its' back thinking this was pretty funny. He would be there to pick me up and we'd ride off for the whole day. Often I would go down to his house north of Ft. Lowell near Davidson school. Bundle and I were both skinny kids. My mom used to say, "that boy is going to be real handsome one of these days." I don't even remember how we lost track of each other, and now I'm so sad he's gone.
Janice MacDonald-Valdez

Kassi said...

Janice,
Thank you so much for your comment! I immediately called my mother-in-law and read it to her! It's just amazing how many people avon knew and had an impact on! By the way, he did turn out to be a very nice looking man! Thank you Thank you and Thank you again!

Anonymous said...

Kassie,
Thank you for your reply. What is still amazing to me is the strong emotional pull to find out what happened to Bundle - during that whole week around Nov 30th until my posting on your blog.

It has been around 60 years since Bun and started hanging out together. You can imagine how I felt when I read my first Google search "left this world to help ride herd with the cowboys...."
In my mind's eye, I can still see his thin face and feel his solid, wirey body as I held tight galloping through the desert. Big thrills happened when Bun jumped the horse over irrigation ditches. I can even remember the sound of the horses hoofs that stopped when we soared and continued upon landing.
I remember such a gentle child.

I see your posting of the house remodel was November 20th. This prompts me, and I hope it is not inappropriate, to ask if his passing was unexpected and sudden? Even with a long illness the loss feels unexpected, yet I think with a sudden death, the trauma to the family is enormous. I hope all of you and Avon's wife are fairing ok. My heart is heavy along with yours.
Janice

Kassi said...

His passing wasn't expected at all. He went out riding one morning, as usual and his horse came back without him a few hours later. They determined that he had a massive heart attack which killed him instantly. He had apparently been having small ones all week and didn't notice since he and us weren't aware of him having any heart problems. It has been quite a shock for all of us, and still not quite real that he is gone. We know though that he is happy and not in pain any more (he had some old injuries that caused him a lot of pain), so are happy about that, we just will miss him very very much!

Anonymous said...

Kassie,
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Since finding Bun's obituary, I had a need to know - kind of a closure I guess.

Again, please give the family my condolences. I lost my daughter in a plane crash, so understand disbelief of a sudden loss. Time helps.

Take care, Janice