Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Peanut Butter and Hives


We had peanut butter and jelly for lunch (like we do quite often) and about an hour later I noticed these popping up all over Mya. I thought they may have been chicken poks (she has been vaccinated but I have had a neice and nephew who were both vaccinated still get them), but by the time we got to the doctor it was pretty obvious they were hives. The picture was taken about 5 hours after they started, so they are pretty faded from the benedryl, but the poor thing is miserable. She reacts like I do to benedryl, half out of it and cranky! And this happened on a day that I was deep cleaning for the influx of family this weekend, trying to make something for dessert for Tim's court of honor tonight (luckily Heather also made something so he is covered), and I was also supposed to glue Tim's patches onto his new scout shirt. I made brownies from a box, Tim is going to wear his uncles shirt and the kids just ate cereal for dinner. Being a mom is never boring!
P.S. the doctor told me to try her with a small amount of peanut butter in a couple weeks just to make sure that is what caused it, but to be sure to have Benedryl on hand because the reaction will get worse each time!

2 comments:

The Fallon Schank's said...

Well, if it were me....absolutely no peanut butter until a child is at least five years old. (The peanut allergy is the scariest that I know. It gets worse every single time. The first time Chels had it=hives. The next time=threw up. The following time=threw up and croupy, rasping breathing. She even has a hard time on SWA flights breathing the peanut air. Easton has the allergy. Talon does too. It's in the genes and even then, this allergy is popping up for no known reason. We all have epi-pens, because with this allergy, you quit breathing.)

LasVegasSchank's said...

So scary. Peanut allergies are so common now. Our pediatrician said no peanuts until age 3 because of how severe it can be and the reaction isn't always the same. I want to know if Carter is allergic. Hopefully you will find out it isn't peanuts that caused it.