Friday, October 26, 2007

To the Mommys in the Audience!

I just wanted to throw this idea out to all the mommys who look at my blog. I hate changing diapers, absolutely HATE it. I do it because I am a mom and it has to be done, and I even change my nephews diaper for the same reason, but I absolutely detest it and am looking forward to potty training (I may be crazy). Which brings me to my point . . . My mom read this article about moms who are now beginning to put their kids on the toilet at 4 months old and then they are potty-trained by 18 months. I decided to give it a try and believe it or not it is working. I didn't start until a couple weeks ago. I just bought one of those seats you put on the big toilet and so far so good. I only put him on 2 or 3 times a day. At first as soon as I saw him grunting I would run him to the bathroom and sometimes he would be done, but we made it a couple times. Now the last couple of days I will sit him him on right after his naps and when he wakes up in the morning and he will go both number one and number two on the toilet. He still goes in his diaper of course, but he really seems to prefer the toilet (who wouldn't).
I don't know if it will help in the long run or anything, but I figure if nothing else its getting him used to the toilet (I know kids can be afraid of it), the clean up is easier and I don't have as many smelly diapers to dispose of! Let me know what you think, and if you have tried it let me know if it made a difference in the long run!

11 comments:

DK Johnston said...

Hey Kassi! So I didn't try it but one of my friends did just what you are doing and got her 9 month old pretty much potty trained. It was pretty amazing. She loved it!! If it works...why not?!
-Kristan

Kim said...

My only thought is that I don't know if I have the energy/determination/ability to keep that close of an eye on him to watch for the cues. I also wonder if it would work with your first or second. I think of all the things I need to do (kindergarten pickup, ABC school, etc.) I seem to be gone a lot so it would be hard to be consistent. Funny thing, I was just thinking about that (while changing a diaper) if you could start it really early, would it help speed up the process? I am definitely interested if there is success out there with it.

Kassi said...

The time thing is why I decided to try it with Ky because if it doesn't seem to make a difference then I'll know not to try it with my other kids, because I'm sure it will be a lot harder!

Alisha said...

wow kassi i'm impressed. i had the same thoughts as kim. hearing you makes me want to try.
oh, i loved your posts about carly. good luck carly!

Lewieville said...

I didn't do it that young, but when Jessalyn turned about 11-12 months we would just start sitting her on the toilet while we got ready in the morning or while we ran her bath water, if she went great, if not, that was fine too. But by just doing the little bit that we did, she stopped #2 in her diaper completely by about 14 months and then she was potty trained with both by 18 months. And because she was used to the toilet, she never freaked like I hear of some kids doing. I don't know, but potty training was sooo easy for us, I don't know if that helped or not, but I will do it again with Colby.-- Good luck! Traci

Heidi said...

I hope it works for you...I would LOVE to have Davis potty-trained by 18 months. Jeron was three and Jadee just now has it figured out at two months shy of three! That would mean that I could be done with diapers in another year!!!!!!! That is a fabulous thought to me. So, please keep us posted! I would like to know some more specifics...like do you just start by putting them on in the morning, but then put their diaper back on? Or, are you cleaning up a lot of messes in between? Also, are they really trained...or is the mom really trained? Fill me in!

kelsey j said...

Wow..this is good to know. Emma is almost 4 months old. I will try it myself and tell you how it goes. Good luck with Kylan. By the way, I love your blog. You're so good about keeping up on it. Daniel and I read your comment about seeing Emma and we feel the same way about Kylan. We can't wait to meet him! He is so adorable and he looks and sounds like he is a lot of fun. It's so fun when your friends/family are having kids at the same time as you.

Kassi said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. To answer Heidi's questions:
He still wears a diaper - bladder control is not there yet. To tell you the truth, I'm just doing what works for me. I started by putting him on once a day when I would catch him doing #2, then once he got used to what he was supposed to do on the toilet, I started putting him on everytime he wakes up. Now he will get fussy when he has to go, or seems to wait until after naps. However if I don't get him on quick enough(when we are out of the house) he will just go in his diaper still, but he wants it changed immediately!
I've actually been very surprised by how quickly he seems to be learning.

Heidi said...

That sounds so great! I would love to not have to change poopy diapers! ;-)

Camille said...

I might just try this with Talon! Keep us updated!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! I hope it works! :)