Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 11

Day 11: A picture of the town you live in.

I've sort of changed this to pictures of the town I grew up in, since I get to live in that town now! I had grand plans for this post. I was going to drive around town with the kids one day and take pictures of them in front of each school Tim and I attended and other significant places in our lives. That never happened, I guess that's what happens when you have three kids and a life. Anyway, last night my wonderful hubby took Mya and Kylan to mutual with him so that I could go to the store with just Emmit and so before going to the store, he and I drove around and took pics from the car before it got to late and between grocery stores. AND, incase anyone saw me with Emmit at the store and noticed he had not pants on and thought I was a terrible mom, he pooped right down the leg of his pj's on the way to the first store, so don't judge!

So, without further ado, here is the town I live in and grew up in!!

This is Cottage Schools, which is where both Tim and I attended kindergarten. Each building had two classrooms. I attended the middle building in the afternoons, and I believe Tim attended the building on the left in the mornings. I think that my dad even attended kindergarten here. I just remember him taking me to the school a few days before school started and him telling me that when the bell rang I was to run to get in line outside my classroom and then us practicing. I also remember him telling me that he always felt sad when he was in school because he had asthma so he couldn't run to get into line. It was later where they held pre school and now is offices. I believe this is considered a historical sight in the state.
For 1-3 grades we had "grade level schools" so Northside was first and second grade. Tim and I both went here as well. I took a picture of this part of the school because the wooden play equipment was there when I was in school there and I believe it's the only piece of original equipment. Also, My grandma Adams taught here and her classroom windows can be seen in this picture. I loved being able to go help her set up her room each year and take it down. It's also where I realized that I wanted to be a teacher someday too!



When Tim and I were in 3rd grade Westend was 3rd and 4th, so this is where both of us went again. After 3rd grade all the schools were changed to K-6 schools, so Tim stayed here and I went back to Northside for the rest of elementary school.


In 7th grade we attended what is now named The Old High School (not Fallon's best naming moment). This is where my parents went to high school and my grandma and grandpa Schank and where my Grandpa Adams taught for many years. It was a ton of fun to go to school here. The building was so old and had so many cool things in it. I guess they are going to redo the whole interior and are even going to take out "the pit" which is the central part of the building where the stage is, many high school proms and dances have been held, and even was the basketball court when my grandparents attended. Very sad I think that they are going to do that. The Pit was the location of Tim and my first official date - Junior Prom.


While we were in 7th grade they built a whole new junior high right next to and semi-attached to the old one. This is where we attended 8th grade. It was a very nice, brand new building, but definitly not as cool as the old one!


This is the high school. Not the greatest picture, I know, but you get the point. This is also where I student taught and the room I did that in is just through the door on the far left of the picture. I did that with Kelly Frost who was also my high school government teacher and was so wonderful to student teach with. I'm sure I drove her crazy, but she was so patient with me!!!


Another terrible picture, but in the distance you can see the football field, which is where I attended almost every single one of Tim's football games and every one of his games his senior year (I even made it to most of his away games) not matter how cold and misserable it was. I had a couple blankets that I would just take with me and wrap up in. Afterwards I would go sit in my car in the parking lot above and wait for him to come out of the locker room - and of course he was always the last one out. It was worth it though! We would then go to Jack-in-the-Box, get him soem food and then head to his house.


This is our first home in town. We now rent it out (speaking of, it's going to be available for rent again on July 1st). It was a good house and we enjoyed living in it. It just got too small really fast!



And now for some more musings on the place I live and grew up in. For those of you not from Fallon, the Louies shopping center used to be many other things. First it was Raleys, Sprouse Ritzs and Pizza Barn, then Raley's built a new store and they connected the three stores above and it became "The Stage" (a clothing store where Raley's was and Louies is currently), the new JC Penny (it was on Maine street and then was where the Dollar Store and Payless are), Maurices (where total fitness and whatever is next to it was) and of course Pizza Barn. See, once upon a time we did have semi-decent clothes shopping here in Fallon. Then all three clothing stores slowly closed and Louies sold their store to CC Comm (which tore it down and built a whole new building) and moved in.

Another change I remember, is that Safeway used to be where CVS was, and Fallon Industries used to be a grocery story called "Kents". I remember going there with my grandpa Schank when I was little. And one more, the area that Super Walmart is built used to be fields where someone kept horses. Crazy how things have changed!

5 comments:

Mary said...

"Not Fallon's best naming moment." lol

JRC said...

Fun to see all the old schools. Some changes make me sad. Like remodeling the pit and especially Bob's Rootbeer not being open anymore.

Tim said...

Was your Grandma's room the windows to the left in your Northside picture? (Cause that 's my classroom now!)

Lyle and Lori said...

Thanks for taking me on a walk down memory lane. XOXO,Lori

jamie k said...

that was a fun post!