Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Historic Day

I just watched the presidential inauguration and whether or not I voted for him doesn't matter, it was great to watch such a historic day. Tim and I were watching a program earlier this week and they were interviewing a 90 year old woman who was black, and we just thought, how awesome for her to be able to see a black man become president! Even though I know that racism is far from dead in our country and I do worry for Obama and his family and the threats that they will face, I think it is awesome that in such a relatively short period of time we have gone from segregation to Obama being president. My grandpa Adams was telling us last night at dinner about his first year coaching basketball in Hawthorne. Half his team was black and they had just won their game in Tonopah. After the game they went to a resterant to eat and the owner at first was not going to let the black players come in to eat. My grandpa told him he was going to call the sheriff, and then the guy let them in. My grandpa told the athletic director never to schedule Tonapah again and he didn't, but this was in Nevada in the 1970's, not Alabama or Mississippi.
Anyway, just a history/government enthusiasts perspective on today!

No comments: